From Compsci.ca Wiki
Who is WTD?
wtd is a resident guru who claims that his alias stands for "Welcome To Darwin", though we all know it really means "What The Duck".
Wtd can frequently be found in the IRC channel helping people out or breaking their minds with new programming concepts.
- "Don't reinvent the wheel if there's an existing library function to do it for you"
- "I wouldn't recommend using Java as a way to start programming."
- "It's better to be wrong, and know why, than to be right by chance."
- "Don't learn what to do from those who have succeeded. As likely as not it has been a matter of luck. Learn what NOT to do from those who have failed. It's far more likely their circumstances arose from some logical progression of events."
- "Converting a fanatic is not the same as opening a mind.
You got your friend to switch from Windows to Linux, or from using Java to using Ruby. Congratulations, but if he or she brings slavish, unquestioning, fanatical devotion to that new technology, then you have not done anyone a favor."